Saturday, October 20, 2018

Knowing what you want to achieve but not knowing how | Melissa Chinaka



It is one thing to have a background of what it is someone wants to do for their thesis whilst it can also be a challenge to know where to start from and how to work towards achieving that goal. The proposal had been accepted, I had managed to settle at CEU but, the question that had always remained at the back of my mind was, when will I know if my thesis title makes sense of what I want to come up with? In not more than four weeks, a consultation arranged by the department for my program had answered my question but had left me thinking about how to start. It became crystal clear that for the time being my topic did not need to change as I was given a task to start working on my thesis prospectus. Faced with reality, I kept asking myself how to start as I had also been advised to work on sources which would establish my analysis. To read around any published material on heritage policies for dev-led archaeology from across the globe. Finding out the differences in practice of development-led archaeology between my country and any other country in the world will foster a comparative analysis for my theoretical framework. Familiarizing with my country’s legislative stance pertaining to heritage management and development will come soon after establishing a comparative base thereby necessitating an adoption of a model policy which suits Zimbabwe’s situation. All these endeavors will be used to draw recommendations that would be stated in the policy draft. 

 Aiming towards producing a policy draft can also imply that the research is mainly focusing on desktop surveys and little to no fieldwork hence clarifying that most information will be acquired through reading and analysis of various written sources. In addition, a research of this nature is likely to be threatened and faced with challenges as it involves legal procedural inquiries. Challenges likely to be expected in my research involve access restriction to various government data which eventually may lead to more reliance on primary sources of information for example unpublished reports and thesis. These can be the weakness and threats of my research process or the demerits of partaking in practical thesis projects. Besides that, in Zimbabwe, researches that involve national concerns may also be politically affected in that some of the matters to be explored require clearances from various government institutions. Zimbabwean heritage management is subdued in nationalistic and politicized systems. This however, poses the challenges that may hinder the timely progress of the research although there is a high chance of succeeding. From this analytical point of view, there is therefore, a critical need for timely planning of this research. Planning in this context will refer to timely bookings for interviews and consultations with all the institutions’ leaders and experts whom I will be acquiring knowledge from. 

Above all, drafting a development-led archaeology policy will be the strength of this research in that if implemented and practiced, the policy will lead towards a sustainable use of land and heritage. The policy draft is very much going to be beneficial for the National Museums and Monuments of Zimbabwe if considered. This is so because it will serve as a legal tool for sustainable heritage management and land development in the country, as the organization is currently lacking a policy for the sustainable heritage management. To the nation which is faced with a dilemma to sustainably manage its heritage and urban sprawl and constructions to alleviate poverty, this research will mean a positive impact because there will be guidelines which allow for the implementation of both goals. This will be a useful endeavor for the heritage of my Zimbabwe. 
Reference : 
https://awhf.net/sustainable-development/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to sign your comments!