Saturday, October 20, 2018

Perks of changing the research topic. Jika Beishebaeva


I had a meeting with Joska and Alice a couple of weeks ago on discussing my research proposal. Immediately as I came in to the room, I blurted out: 'I am going to change my topic!' Thanks God, they were not surprised. I started to explain why. It turned out that there are many people working in the sphere of Kyrgyz felt carpet production, and even Ala-Kiyiz and Shyrdak art is in the UNESCO's list of intangible cultural heritage which is in danger of disappearing, there are still many people involved to the production and preservation. And I'd rather choose something rarely explored yet really useful.
That is why, now I think that I may change my subject of research to Kyrgyz traditional costume. I know that back in my country, there are no full representations of authentic Kyrgyz costumes. In Kyrgyz National Historical Museum, only some parts of male costume are exhibited. Alice told me: 'You should carefully think about what is authentic in any way. What do we mean by saying something is authentic?' 
Thus, as far as there are no whole costumes found and preserved, I think I will be able to reconstruct them. Again, Joska and Alice were really helpful in brainstorming with me. They asked the right questions. 
If I am going to research the Kyrgyz costume, which exactly then? There are seven regions in Kyrgyzstan. How will I divide them? What time period will I start from? Back in 19 century? When Soviet time started? There is hardly any documentation left before 19 century, because Kyrgyz people were nomads. Should I only talk about female costume? Or both female and male? That's a lot. Should I take only south regions or north? Professors suggested to narrow the research as much as possible. 


I am going to talk to Emil Tilekov, a Kyrgyz artist and designer whom I know well. He is a walking encyclopedia of Kyrgyz handicraft production and, specially, of Kyrgyz costume, He actually was the one, who started working in this research but then, due to some circumstances, stopped. I think he will give me good advices
This is a very useful, exciting, yet very complicated topic of research. All of the questions above show it. To the moment, I cannot cover all the regions of my country and all the costumes worn. Today, Kyrgyz people love to wear traditional costumes, but of course in general they don't know anything about authenticity of the costumes. For instance, this male chapan (long jacket) below is not authentic at all. It's a mass production wear.

But if everything works in the end, if I decide correctly, what costume to choose and concentrate on, that will be a great achievement for me and for Kyrgyz heritage preservation. If we don't have a true ancient costume saved, at least we will have a restored one, representing the way our ancestors wore it. 

1 comment:

Don't forget to sign your comments!