Saturday, September 22, 2018

In search of a way to begin | Zsuzsa Nagy-Sandor


The scene: a bedroom somewhere in Budapest, furnished but as of yet, unadorned. In the middle of the room: a suitcase. Open, piled high, heaving with unfolded clothes. Smaller objects scattered across the shiny wooden floor. All evidence of a recent move. The start of something new. Unorganized. A mess. Just like my thesis proposal.

When writing my application I carefully considered my interests, pinpointed my goals and objectives and wrote a few pages of text, neatly organized and to the point. Later in the year I packed my luggage in much the same way. Neatly and organized.

And then I arrived and the year started with a whirlwind of orientations, classes, new impulses, inspirations, assignments… and suddenly here I stand, clothes flung in all directions, the exciting terms I based my proposal around just sitting there, on my proposal paper, are all jumbled up and unorganized in my brain, each term tangled with the next and I am not sure what to reach for first.

The research proposal I am currently working with revolves around different concepts of heritage interpretation, focusing mainly on the tools museums can utilize to communicate with their audiences in a participatory and interactive manner. Back in January I had written the following sentence to sum up the what I thought would be the main subjects of my research: “Looking more practically at how museums can implement inclusion and aid understanding through interpretation (as defined by Tilden 1977: 8), the study must consider the specific ways and tools of showcasing heritage and living culture (see e.g. the Smithsonian Folklife Festival in Washington DC) as well as developments in participatory museum practices and museum educational interpretations.”

However, the concept is both vague and vast, it is unspecified.

Several keywords can be distinguished however: inclusion, interpretation (including presentation), participatory museum and museum education. I talk about tangible and intangible cultural heritage. About traditional museum settings and events organized outside the museum buildings. I write as if I knew exactly what I would like to research and how I would go about doing it, but her and now I am lost.

I find my thoughts running around in desperate circles, trying to find the loose end of the ball of yarn that is this thesis, and unravel it in a meaningful and graceful fashion. That is I am struggling to learn about all these concepts I had laid out for myself, as they are all intertwined and I am not sure where to start and which one to begin with. As I am starting to realize, this particular ball of yarn has no single neat and accessible starting point, but a thousand threads to untangle it by – and here the metaphor looses all meaning.

Bakony, Balaton-felvidék utcasor - http://skanzen.hu/hu/szolgaltatasok/fotozas-filmezes/forgatasi-helyszinek-kepek


So I am looking for a way in; a way to broaden my knowledge while simultaneously defining the area of research, narrowing it to a feasible and specific project, to lay the foundation based on which research can be planned. 

I will begin this work by choosing a specific heritage site as a tangible example through which I can understand the different concepts and approaches I am interested in. To this end, the Hungarian Open Air Museum of Szentendre will be my playground to explore approaches in interpretation, community involvement and participation. 

The museum was opened in 1972 and has taken a leading role developing participatory museum education in Hungary. It was at this institution that the Museum Education andMethodology Centre (MOKK) was established in 2006. The center organizes museum pedagogical workshops, trainings and publishes the journal Múzeumi Iránytű (Knowledge Archive). Investigating into know the center and the work it does will no doubt land me in the thick of it all, but in a graspable, contextualized manner.

The site itself will be a good place to start applying the analytical methods I learn, as it works with heritage I am familiar with, allowing me to focus on the narratives and presentational tools employed. The site will serve as a reference point. It will be an example for me to keep returning to when reading theories and learning to analyze heritage sites.

In the end, I am taking a threefold approach to orienting myself within the field and finding my research subject within it: 1) I will learn its terminologies and approaches through readings and explorations of heritage institutions/sites, based upon which I will 2) choose a direction I would like to take my research in, so that I can 3) choose a project (format) and begin my thesis-specific research. This is my grand plan.

I have my ticket, I am going to Szentendre soon, armed with Lars Wohlers’ book on how to successfully present cultural and natural heritage, a notebook and a camera. I am ready to analyze, to take visual and written notes.

This is me, trying to take one step at a time. 

It’s time to begin detangling my keywords. 

It’s time to unpack my suitcase.






References

Lars Wohlers (2015) Informális oktatás: hogyan mutassuk be sikerrel kulturális és természeti örökségünket. Budapest: Kulturális Örökség Menedzserek Egyesülete (KÖME).

Tilden, F. (1977) Interpreting Our Heritage. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to sign your comments!