Sunday, December 2, 2018

Real Life Impact: How Can I Make My Contribution Matter. Jika Beishebaeva




Okay, so as I want to do something really useful for stakeholders of my thesis project, I am thinking now what is the impact it is going to have. 
Just to remind you: I was planning to write about preserving Kyrgyz traditional felt carpet production through women entrepreneurship first. Then after some research I realized that there are actually many initiatives going on in this field, and I would better choose something less developed but important as well to be able to make a real contribution. So my choice is Kyrgyz traditional costumes, I am going to pick one and restore it with the help of professionals. I presented my first topic in the class, because I did not have any data for the second one to the moment. 
Right now, this post is more a discourse and self-brainstorming on what is the impact this ambitious project is going to have.

As I told in my previous post, I need to figure out which costume to choose exactly - which region of Kyrgyzstan, will it be male costume or female, what time period I will take. This is one part. Another thing  is to find sources in archives to make sure the chosen costume is real. 


Картинки по запросу impact
I want to tell a little bit about the today's situation with costumes in Kyrgyzstan. After the collapse of Soviet Union, Kyrgyz self-identity started to arise. It does not mean that during Soviet time it was oppressed, but Kyrgyz costumes were mostly used during holidays. And since the collapse, there were more and more organizations which promoted Kyrgyz traditions and culture. Many handicraft entrepreneurship companies started to work, and not all of them were of a good quality. Kyrgyz costume for women became not only something special for holidays, but a part of everyday wear. There are many things produced: dresses, coats, shirts... Today I can easily differ a good, let's say, "authentic" (even if I try to avoid this word) wear from a cheap massive product which barely can be called as real. That is the problem: the majority of people who put on those costumes do not really think about the originality of patterns, materials, design... It seems "Kyrgyz" and it is fine. 
So, after I restore one of the costumes (I think I will choose a female one) I will work on the promotion as well. During the realization of the project, I will spread a word about it, will notify Ministry of Culture, NGOs which work in cultural sphere, mass media, designers, artisans, etc. I will organize a presentation of course, and will make sure this costume is officially registered. 
Impact? Well, I am sure as people will get to know about it, they will start to use it. Designers will replicate it into mass production. They can even use the word "authentic" for better sales. Depending on their price range they will use different materials, but the design itself will still be real. 
I think the knowledge of a real costume will make women more self-confident and proud that they wear Kyrgyz costume. 
I am sure this project will raise historical debates as well. Most probably, different theories of authenticity and origins of Kyrgyz culture will be discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to sign your comments!